Monday 18 January 2016

Imaginary friends...

Did I have an imaginary friend? When I was a very small boy there was a boy that visited me sometimes although I’m not sure if he was imaginary or something else. He didn’t speak, he left that to me. In fact he hardly ever showed himself and when he did, as is always the way with me, he flashed into my line of vision and then flashed out again. Thinking about it, most of my real friends over the years haven’t been so very different; flashing in and out of my line of vision, not saying much, drifting away eventually.

Of course there are a few that remain constant one way or another, but friendship is a strange affair. It requires common ground, physical, experiential or attitudinal, preferably all of these or at least two out of the three. Rarely do you make a friend without common ground. Do you ever, is it even possible? I can’t answer that question; I’m too judgmental, quick to take a dislike, too fast to measure and weigh. Besides, I’m wary of the friendship thing. I tend to take these things too seriously and when they go or end, they take a small part of me away with them.

So, did I have an imaginary friend? You know I really can’t remember. I wonder if he remembers me? 

5 comments:

  1. Tricia Kitt on FB
    You evidently have a truly horrible imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricia Kitt
      Sorry, comment is solely on the pic, although your imagination has always been truly something specific, rather than airy-fairy whispy stuff

      Delete
    2. Andrew Height
      Why thank you madam.

      Delete
  2. David Bell on FB
    That's one scary pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      He's under your bed David.

      Delete