Thursday 13 June 2013

Back yard update...

When I decided, way back in March, that this year all of my garden plants would be grown from seed and that I would stick to predominantly blues and purples to attract the insects I hadn’t reckoned on the coldest spring on record.

I planted my seeds indoors and I’m happy to say that almost everything I sowed germinated. I was assured of a wonderful show this summer, particularly my Morning Glories as I had sown three varieties and potted on well over sixty plants. I’d had real success with them last year and, whilst I only grew a few, they grew tall and strong and were covered in beautiful purple, blue and white delicate trumpet-like flowers. Not this year though.

I constructed a small cane run against the wall on which to let them climb and waited for the weather to warm up enough to plant them out. Weeks in the cold frame saw them growing stringy and weak. If they didn’t get planted out soon they wouldn’t stand a chance. I waited and waited and eventually planted them out anyway despite the soil not being warm enough really.

The few I have left are struggling hard. In fact the whole yard – such a glorious picture last year – threatens to be much less than the leafy haven it was. So that’s it. I’m going to have to buy some bedding to lift it which isn’t what I had planned at all and just in case you were wondering - this is one of last year's.

No comments:

Post a Comment