Thursday 27 June 2013

Mother love and naughty boys...

I wonder why a lot of women seem to be attracted to men who bully and abuse them?

What makes them stick around, taking verbal and mental abuse, even physical abuse sometimes? How can they respect the man they are with when he belittles them in public, shouting them down when they have an opinion, destroying their relationships with others, simply because he wants to and can.

What makes some women put up with the actions of these petulant, demanding, pulling-the-wings-off-insects, schoolboy men? 

Maybe they are all just naughty boys in the eyes of these misguided women.

Is it some strange type of mothering or perhaps it’s a form of Stockholm syndrome, capture-bonding as it’s sometimes called. Maybe it starts out as an okay relationship only to become over time - with marriage, children and a greater reliance on the man - a hostage type situation.

Of course, Stockholm syndrome doesn’t necessarily require a hostage scenario, all it requires is a “strong emotional tie that develops between two persons where one person intermittently harasses, beats, threatens, abuses, or intimidates the other.” I think that describes an awful lot of marriages. I personally know of one at least.

One explanation of Stockholm syndrome suggests that the bonding, let’s call it misplaced love, is a response to the trauma of becoming a victim. It can take years, but eventually the victim completely identifies with their aggressor as their subconscious dumbs down and defends itself. The victim comes to believe in the same values and version of truth as their aggressor and thus ceases to be a threat in the victim’s mind. In this way the victim can love him despite his actions.

Maybe this explains why the likes of Eva Braun, Myra Hindley, Maxine Carr, Rosemary West and all of the others go along with such awful atrocities, joining their very bad men in their terrible acts, covering and lying for them and losing themselves in the process.

What other reason could there be? Oh, I’m sure that these controlling men make their women feel very special and I’m equally as sure that they can be very nice, even charming, when they want to be. But why let their insecurity lead to total control? Of course there are women out there who have been brought up to feel that they don’t deserve any better, or perhaps they really don’t know any better. He’ll scare and manipulate and some women are more afraid of being alone again than of being in a controlling relationship. Some women even believe truly that they can change their man and after a lifetime of trying the realisation that they’ve failed and wasted their lives in the process can only add to their lack of self-identity.

Perhaps in the final analysis these women do what they do simply “because I love him.” But after a lifetime of control that sounds like an excuse, something like the sound of one hand clapping to the other hand’s demands.


15 comments:

  1. Phillip Yeadon on FB
    Two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ... year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Height
    It's what they all deserve Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Height
    I'd be interested in your views Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda Kemp
    No instant reaction - or maybe several. ... I will try to re-read in the morning and comment properly. Just wanted to let you know someone's reading tonight

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard Shore on FB
    There isn't an easy answer to complex human emotions. I think it is perfectly possible to be in love with somebody who is abusive, or to fall in love with somebody who then becomes abusive. I think its also possible for abusive men to love the partners that they abuse, that people are not good or bad but a complicated mix in different situations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Height
    a controlling, abusive relationship is just that Rick. Love doesn't really come in to it, in fact it becomes an excuse. It's nice that you can see all sides but sometimes the other side is very wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hiding this here. It needs to be in my blog but my controlling father may call the police if he gets to hear of it. It isn't a post, just a comment and i'm sure nobody reads my stiff in any depth.

    firstly, I'm sick of his bullying controlling abuse. Let's get that straight. He's a coward and a liar and after a lifetime of being beaten, bellowed at and worse i won't take any more of his shit. He really is lacking in so many departments, having to take out his own inadequacies on those around him, particularly me. It's as if he blames me for something. What? Getting my mum pregnant and having to stick around instead of doing the things he was always pretending he would do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Continued:
    I think that's it. I get the blame for his wayward cock.

    Anyway, good old dad, always sorting me out and putting me straight with a slap, a threat, or a put down. Only last Christmas he put me straight on how to fly a toy helicopter. He put my wife and daughter straight too, bellowing at them and calling them liars who obviously hadn’t read the instructions. Then he left the house, only returning to drag my mum away after she’d spent an hour pouring out her misery to my mother-in-law which she now claims never happened.

    He has her around his little finger. Poor, stupid woman. no better than the lot above.

    I wonder why? We all remember it so clearly.

    Of course it wasn’t the first time – birthdays, barbecues, I always made him lose his temper by refusing to do things his way. It’s not his fault that he has to lash out and run off when he doesn’t get his own way. It isn’t his fault that he lies and cheats and makes others do his dirty work.

    I got a call from the police a few weeks ago. Apparently my dad didn’t like his father’s day card because it didn’t say the things he thinks I should say and sending texts like ‘Nice day on the pier’ to my mum is not allowed. The card told the truth – home truths as my good old dad would say; sometimes even father’s need to face up to what they are. Not he though, so instead he called the police and the police warned me that if I contacted him or my mum again that they’d arrest me. Sending an honest father’s day card is harassment apparently.

    My dad doesn’t like the truth. He really likes the police though.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Richard Shore on FB
    I really do think that's an over simplification of human nature. When people are abusive, there is a reason for it, and I can't accept that the reason is that they are just bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew Height
      No they are not just bad, there is always a reason. it doesn't change the reality though.

      Delete
  10. Sarah Rawden on FB
    some women will protect their own little world....at any cost....difficult to understand...but truth netherless xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phillip Yeadon on FB
    That's the power of love.

    ReplyDelete