Tuesday 26 January 2010

No post today...

I spent last night in a motorway hotel technology free.

You see, I couldn't get a connection. I tried everything and still couldn't connect.

'So what?' You might say. So what indeed. I felt completely cut off from the world, I didn't know what was going on, I had no voice, I was deaf, dumb and blind. I knew nothing, I understood nothing, I couldn't get the answers to my questions. My life was out of control, I wasn't in charge, I was LOST!

When did all this happen? When did I make this transition to needing to be always on?

I have to say I didn't like the reliance I felt. I may need to do something about it, make a change, stop doing some of the things I (have to) do - like blogging EVERY day (except Saturdays).

Maybe I'll write letters instead and post them to my blog followers, or read, or watch TV. I may even go back to smoking. Perhaps that's it, maybe if I start smoking I might be able to quit being always on. There, I feel better now, back in control... maybe.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is great to be off sometimes.You are off for everything else but you. Specially when you can create with your mind.
    I used to smoke in my past and sometimes I say that when I was smoking I was thinking more about miself. Anyway, it is no good to go back, it would be sad.
    Anyway, with your blog title you can do miracles when you are alone without technology. Next time, take it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a lad, long before 3G, long before broadband, before even the dizzying speeds of 9600 baud rates, we had acoustic couplers. You should get one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Draw For Joy - good advice.

    Liz - acoustic couplers, baud rates? Sounds ancient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your angst AKH. I've been driven mad by my return journey to Bristol this week - no phone signal never mind internet connection. I was so desperate that I couldn't wait to whip out my iTouch at York Station to check on Twitter, email and Facebook. Read a great article in the Times tho - we're all foxes in this on line world apparently ie we know how to get hold of lots of info as opposed to being the store of indepth knowledge in one area. We're foxes in canoes - I'll send it to you. So I suppose no connection gave me cause to read the paper and expand the brain a bit.

    ReplyDelete