Sunday 8 March 2009

The third of May 1808


w

w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
w
Do you like Goya?

The fog and mist lifted just long enough on Saturday for me to get an hour on Hell's Mouth beach. It was pretty cold and very windy but I wanted to go and make my first beach sculpture of 2009.

I knew what I wanted to do - a self portrait - so here I am on the seventh of March 2009 facing the camera, in the wind, ready to meet my fate.

I wanted to do a funny piece, something to make people laugh. I look pretty funny don't I with that head that looks like a dunces cap, my coloured guts spilling out of my middle? Look, the blue touch paper is waiting to be lit and my arms are open in a gesture of surrender. I'm not expecting any mercy though - so fire away.

I'm trying to look quite normal but its hard when your mouth is full of blue and you know you have the 'L' brand imprinted on your forhead. Look at the top of my pointy head - my radar's gone all wonky - and if I'm not careful I'm going to trip myself up with my two left feet. Its only a matter of time.

What a laugh.

3 comments:

  1. awesome sculpture - made me feel happy anyway

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee....I have an image of you creating this on the beach with a small group of people starting to gather out of curiosity and a little boy asking "what's it meant to be mister?" and someone else throwing you some pennies... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh. I see. I'm more of a Picasso man myself.

    ReplyDelete